Cozy toes, happy soles.
For the cold-weather athlete, for the indoor coziness craver, this thick sock will provide technical warmth. The alpaca fiber will allow the foot to breathe while supplying insulative heat.
Features + Benefits
- Thick and plush for complete comfort.
- Luxury made to last. Alpaca is exceptionally durable if cared for properly, and more durable than sheep's wool. Non-itchy, lightweight, breathable, windproof, silky-smooth, resistant to piling and matting, non-shrinking, water and stain-resistant.
- Alpaca has unique thermal properties due to the mircoscopic air pockets found in its fiber, allowing air circulation on warm days and heat insulation on cool days. This prevents sweating in warmer weather, and in colder weather, contains heat for warmth. Wear these alpaca socks year-round in any regular shoe without overheating.
- No animals are harmed in the making of any Pokoloko product. Alpacas are shorn in cycles like sheep according to the seasons.
- Ultra soft hand feel, luxurious texture. Soft and gentle on the skin. Alpaca is hypoallergenic.
- Unisex, suitable for all humans.
- Status symbol. In Incan history, alpaca was considered the “fiber of the gods,” and reserved for royalty. Domesticated more than 6000 years ago, the alpaca represents a unique South American textile tradition.
- Alpaca is one of the Earth's most sustainable fibers. Alpacas have soft, padded feet, not hooves, which minimize soil erosion. They consume relatively less water than other animals, and have efficient digestion, low level feeds, and they only nibble on top of pasture grass without uprooting it. No harsh chemicals are necessary to process alpaca as alpaca contains no lanolin oil.
Artisan + Origin
- Fairly-traded. Made by highly-skilled, independent Peruvian artisans, with whom we work directly.
Materials + Care
- 48% alpaca 30% nylon 22% acrylic
- Cold, delicate wash, and hang to dry.
Size + Fit
- S = Womens: 5-7 & Mens: 4-6.5
- M = Womens: 7.5-9 & Mens: 7-8.5
- L = Womens: 9.5 - 10.5 & Mens: 9-11.5
- XL = Womens: 11- 12 & Mens: 12-14
Q: What are some fun alpaca facts?
An alpaca is an intelligent animal of the camelid (camel) family native to the South American Andes. Alpacas come in 22 natural shades, and their luxurious fleece is sheared once a year in Spring. Alpacas are herd animals, their social structure requires they live with other alpacas. An alpaca will be lonely, and may even sicken and die, if isolated. They share a bathroom, alpacas use communal dung piles removed from where they graze. They are musicians, alpacas vocally communicate with a melodic hum to express a spectrum of emotions, from curiosity to mourning.
Q: Does it hurt the alpaca to get its fleece?
Alpacas are not harmed while their fleece is harvested. In fact, alpaca wool is one of the most ethical fibers available. Farmers take great care in gently shearing the wool and releasing the animal back to roam freely. Alpaca fiber does not contain lanolin, meaning it does not require strong chemicals to clean it.
Q: If I get my alpaca wool socks wet, will they still keep me warm?
Depending on how soaked your socks are, alpaca has an ability to resist water and, even when damp, provide warmth. The hollow fibers of the alpaca fiber trap air in their core which provides enduring insulation.